I just received the following post-card in the mail for https://www.cornell.edu/
This round of reunions appears to target graduates in years ending in 2's and 7's
I recall that a couple of Anduril executives, Brian Schimpf and Matt Grimm https://www.anduril.com/anduril-leadership, are each Cornell graduates. It turns out that each appear to be 7's. Courtesy of Linkedin, viz.,
with this being their 20th with the 7 suffix. The CU lineage came to my mind after seeing them together in a presentation shortly after receiving this card.
For this reunion round I'm targeting my 35th graduation anniversary with a 2 suffix (1/1992)
A 15 year gap between their graduation and mine which is not quite a generational gap (20-30 years), although it has definitely been a generation of graduates between my cohort in 1992 and the recent class.
This last point of generational gaps come to the fore for me when I bumped into the parody page https://theonion.com/man-confident-he-wouldve-been-brave-enough-to-send-thumbs-down-emoji-in-cornell-group-chat/
I guess that I have inadvertently been 'brave' since I find myself often giving the thumbs-up emoji in Slack when I want to acknowledge a message. I confess that I had to Google the below explanation after reading the Onion headline above.
Maybe a potential use for personal ambient AI is to provide me a pop-up when I commit these faux pas in the future :)
Maybe a potential use for personal ambient AI is to provide me a pop-up when I commit these faux pas in the future :)
And given the beauty of the region, Ithaca definitely qualifies for the saying https://alumni.cornell.edu/cornellians/ithaca-is-gorges/. Hopefully Ithaca hasn't gone all Austin, TX, namely tie-die of "Keep Ithaca Weird". I can only absorb so much change in this era of break-neck AI dynamism.
Go Big Red.
Another nice thing about Cornell is that my email address vjz1@cornell.edu is a forever address that is also backed by a free Gmail account with storage
UW pulled its free Gmail and storage for my email vzimmer@uw.edu, although it still supports forwarding. And now IEEE is separately charging for its Gmail to keep vzimmer@ieee.org alive. Luckily ACM is maintaining its forwarding vincentzimmer@acm.org. This IEEE change coincides with Intel Retiree organization 'retiring' email forwarding, so I'm now losing vincent.zimmer@intelretiree.com too. Oh well.
The transient nature of email accounts reminds me of the ephemeral nature of the internet. I sometimes snap pictures of web sites I cite since as this blog ages the links end up going stale as content ages off the web.
OK. Enough random editorial for a Saturday. Back to work.








No comments:
Post a Comment